Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Today marks the beginning of Lent.



Today is Ash Wednesday, marking the start of the Lent season for many Christians. Lent is a period of 46 days before Easter and is a time of self-examination. A common practice of Lent is to fast (give up)  something, which is supposed to help a person's focus, and to recognize the Lord as their provider and sustenance. 


Growing up I only understood this as a season practiced by my Catholic friends. I think the main thing was that Friday we had fish for school lunches. It wasn't until I was much older, did I realize that others took part as well, they just did not use the official "terminology" to describe this period of time-just calling it a fast. 


So, this year I am joining in, I am giving up caffeine. For this means coffee and diet coke with Dr. Pepper. And less money spent at Caseys, our local convenient store. And since Mat and I just started Financial Peace University - good timing. One less expense to record.


Any one else taking part in the Lent season?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, we're fasting from meat in our meals... but we are still having fish... and we 'break the fast' once a week (a different version of the tradition). It helps our two boys (2 and 4 months) not miss out on nutrients, and helps us maintain the discipline the other 6 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! (And I checked out your blog - cute kiddos! :))

    ReplyDelete